Sunday, April 6, 2014

Pulling Back The Covers

There was a liar in my bed.

A really good liar. And he's been there for a long time.  He's my husband.

For many years, I thought I knew when he was lying.  The corners of his mouth would twitch slightly when he lied or omitted something.  He was trying to keep his mouth straight so as not to smile or make other motions to give him away.  In doing so, he'd contort his mouth in such an unnatural way that this in itself, was his 'tell'.

I never thought of myself a naïve woman, but boy do I feel like an idiot now.  Because, a little more than a month and a half ago, I discovered my husband has been cheating on me.

It's like stripping the bed linens.  Peeling off layer upon layer of deceit and lies.  It's like I'm a chambermaid in a hotel, and he is the dirty guest that left the room a mess.  Be careful with the bed covers - you don't know what's underneath.  Better work with a friend.  There's strength in numbers.  Call the manager if the mess is too much to handle.

He's with another woman!  (Pull off the quilt.)

She isn't his first.  (Yank down the blanket.)

He admits to three!  (Remove the topsheet.)

Do I want to continue?  Do I want to carry on removing the fitted sheet, and mattress cover?  Shall I yank off the pillow cases?  Who knows what else I will find?

No comments:

Post a Comment